As Obama steps into his new role, at the Thinking Tank we started the year with an experiment in reaching political decisions without political parties. A number of you proposed motions and we worked together to look at the key pros and cons and reach a decision.
And yes, it worked. Online technology offers different opportunities and we had a thoughtful and constructive debate which led to the following motions (in order with the most strongly supported first) being agreed by the majority.
PROPOSAL: No more party politics. Governments should govern – but guided by constant monitoring of the needs of the people they serve.
- Even what we are doing now [online brainstorming] is a method that can be used better by politicians – be it already to check alignment
- It will engage and give some responsibility back: people can then no longer talk about them the government or politicians
PROPOSAL: We cannot afford to economise on innovation
- Necessity is the mother of invention. we need innovation now to address global warming, food distribution, wars, lonely old people, so many problems still waiting for solutions
- Innovation creates energy, hope, new opportunities a future.. and this is perspective is what we all need
PROPOSAL: A new global movement should be started based on the principle that each individual is a member of the world constituency.
- This would help to overcome the “them and us” approach and remind us that we share the planet and all need to cooperate to survive
- innovation could come from an internationally important project such as power, disease eradication, poverty addressing, etc. But not by individual Govts, as they would tend to be selfish
PROCESS (on-line debating and convergence)
There were also some interesting observations about the process of online brainstorming in order to develop our thinking and reach better conclusions
- This is a good tool to get quick feedback and input on key choices
- Even what we are doing now is a method that can be used better by politicians – it’s all ready to check alignment
- Present-day technology (such as blogs), is a useful tool for ‘direct democracy’
Proposal: start www.ThinkingTank aligning more and more people in this idea
- The Obama texting captured people’s attention when everyone thought voting was doomed to decline… this could do the same