On Oct 18 we had conversations at two time slots to consider our relationship with piracy in 2012. Over 300 ideas and opinions were put forward and considered by the group with some key themes emerging.
Download the more detailed report here: (coming soon)
These are the top statements that I tweeted immediately following the event (#tttpiracy):
Strongest statement (both groups)
- Artists have a right to get money for what they produce
And conversely, the most opposed statement was
- I think all music should be free for everybody
Other strong statements
In favour of piracy:
- No major jail time for downloading or distributing music/ movies/ media
Anti middle men
- I’d feel better about buying more music if I knew the money was going straight to the artist
- On download sites they could put banners “why not get the legal version for $2?”
- Micropayments… –> Bitcoin to the rescue!!!!!!
- I would find it a lot easier to do the decent thing” [with pop up micropayments]
- it is not about restoring the old market forces, but finding new ways for new channels to generate income to artists